The Old Nazereth Church (Alte Nazarethkirche) at Leopoldplatz in Wedding. One of the four suburban churches by Karl-Friedrich Schinkel. The foundation stone was laid in the spring of 1832, the inauguration took place on 05/07/1853. Leopoldplatz lies right on Müllerstraße, one of Wedding's main shopping streets, very lively and bubbly. In the background one can catch a glimpse of the New Nazareth Church (Neue Nazarethkirche) by Max Spitta, inaugurated on 10/03/1893.
The apse was added and windows were installed on the ground floor in 1906, the facade to great extent divided.
Bricks make up the visible facade, a flat gable roof, no bell tower, profiled arched windows, a rose window on the side of the entrance – Schinkel structured the modest form of the edifice with many details.
The bronze sculpture 'Adorant', one of many modern recastings of the 'Betende Knabe' (praying boy), expresses religiosity. The original dates from around 300 BC and was discovered on the island of Rhodos. Frederick the Great bought it for his art collection in 1747 and had it put on display in Potsdam. The original sculpture belongs to the most famous piece in the collection of the National Museums of Berlin, is currently on display in the rotunda of the Old Museum (Altes Museum) and can be viewed free of charge until the re-opening of the main floor in February 2011. The adorable little guy at Leopoldplatz is unfortunately tucked away and hidden between trees, making him hard to find.
Linden trees almost completely frame the area in front of the church. They form a 3 row avenue that leads along the Nazarethkirchstraße toward the back portion of Leopoldplatz.
From Müllerstraße to Maxstraße, the Leopoldplatz is 485m long. In the development plan (1862) by James Hobrecht it was called 'Platz J' (Square J) of the 'Abteilung X' (Section X) – not an appealing description. The name still in use today went into effect in 1891, and is based on Leopold I, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau and Prussian general.
The square was last redesigned in 1985. Since then, a granite fountain, conceptualized by landscape architect Michael Hennemann, invitingly encourages one to sit down. Several times a week a market place is built up in Müllerstraße. In 2011 a new design concept, in particular around the area of the Old Nazareth Church, is to be implemented. The T-shirt motif will then be 'history' ...
How to get there:
U6 or U9 to Leopoldplatz